Monday, December 22, 2014

What I'm (Not) Reading This Week



Welcome to my not-reading blog. I have not been reading much, even less than I promised last week. I am just half way through All My Puny Sorrows, which is so beautiful but also so deeply sad that I find it difficult to read while eating cookies and watching the holiday lights twinkle. Hopefully I’ll finish that in a few days and get a review up.

To be honest, I’m not hopeful for a big reading week ahead, either. My in-laws are doing a “read-along” of The Razor’s Edge by W. Somerset Maugham, so I need to tackle that by next weekend. I will admit that this book would not naturally find its way onto my stack, and dang, the tiny print. We’ll see how well I do with that while under the influence of eggnog. 


Two things of note from this past week – One, I received this delightful package from my The Broke and The Bookish Secret Santa. Thanks, Stephanie from Steph the Bookworm

She sent The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. which I have been meaning to read for a long time. And she also sent Blueprints For Building Better Girls by Elissa Schappell. I learned about this one in Harlan Coben’s “By the Book” interview in the New York Times Book Review last spring. He said that Schappell was his “favorite overlooked or under-appreciated writer.”

The other thing that happened this past week was my book club’s holiday book exchange. It functions kind of a like a White Elephant gift exchange – with stealing – but the books are all good ones. I received Seattle author Garth Stein’s new novel: A Sudden Light.


That’s it for now! May you all give and receive some fantastic books this holiday season, wherever you are and whatever holiday you celebrate.

(It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Journey)

No comments: