Monday, January 3, 2022

New Year, Same Old Stuff; Also, Bingo Extension!

 

Happy New Year! I guess? Is it a new year? I am back on the couch, school is remote for now, and the internet makes me angry. So much seems stuck, and I am losing confidence in the idea that we are going to turn this ship around.

 

HOWEVER! I did regain my reading mojo last year, and I’m looking forward to discussing that with you here. In particular, I’ve been on a dive into books about solitude and the creative life. My nest is empty (except for right now. Winter break + Omicron = lots of people in the crowded house), and that has been weird and sad and also satisfying in ways I hadn’t expected.

 

I’ve been keeping track of my reading on Goodreads, so feel free to follow me there, too. I know I used to do long reviews on this blog, but those took forever to write and became less and less fun over time. I’m considering writing different kinds of essays here instead.

 

So what’s next? Santa Claus showed up in a big way this year (masked, fully vaxxed, boosted!) and I’m eager to jump into this new leaning stack. 

 


But first we have some unfinished business, don’t we? Last year, I introduced Midlife Crisis Bingo, and I recently sat down to see how I did. It turns out that I need an extension. You, too? Great. Let’s take an extra month to get this done (You can see category descriptions here and see the FAQs here and print out your own card here).

 


My intention: Starting February 1, I will walk through my own Bingo card with you. I’m completing the whole card, but remember that you’re a winner no matter what. You only read one book? That’s fantastic! A row? Hearty congrats! Two rows? Let’s celebrate! The beauty of Midlife Crisis Bingo is that you are always good enough. But if you do finish the card, post a photo below in the comments or on The Leaning Stack of Books Facebook page. One lucky winner is going to get a prize (A book! Woop!).

 

Until then, it looks like have two squares to go:

 

Vintage:

 

Who’s calling you old? You are just getting started, baby. Take a moment to notice that having a midlife crisis is actually the luxury of a person with many years ahead! To put your age in perspective, read a book that was published before you were born.

 

 

Old Love:

 

Oh man, you know you can’t go back. Or can you?

 

 

I’m excited to reconnect with you all, bookish friends. Onward to 2022!

No comments: